2012-09-29

Knocking Doors for Brooks Wicker

This year I have been more politically active than I ever have.  In 2010, I watched as John Yarmuth handily beat a very promising Republican candidate for Congress. The general feeling was that he could very well beat Yarmuth, especially with the wave of the TEA Party and other conservative leaning folks being highly motivated.  Unfortunately, the Republican candidate was beaten, badly.

So, this year, I've taken to doing something about it. I have been vocal, using my social media accounts, attending events for our candidate, Brooks Wicker, and even knocking doors.  And it is this article that I wanted to use to give you an idea of what it is like. Perhaps you will want to join Mr. Wicker's volunteer team to get the word out and get people to vote for him.

I was able to assist in passing out a town hall event flier last Wed and Thu. I knocked on about 40-60 doors and left a flier at each one except one. The people who were home were very kind, even if they weren't Republican, even if they were voting for the Democrat. Most people, however, were very interested in learning about Mr. Wicker and wanted to vote Mr. Yarmuth out.

The one house I did not leave a flier at was a curmudgeonly, drunk fellow who was anti-Republican anything. But even he told me I can "go next door" and not bother him about it.  So, it wasn't all that bad.

On Saturday, I took to my own neighborhood and passed out more fliers.  I tried to get as many out as I could, so I didn't bother knocking.  I did talk with a few people. Fortunately, there was one in my neighborhood who agreed to having a yard sign placed in their yard.

So, if you are worried at all about knocking doors, don't be! It is a really great way to get Mr. Wicker's name out there. And it will also uplift you as you hear people's stories and meet those who agree with your political positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment